Learning new skills is the main aim, and in this project we'll explore four fundamental woodworking processes: Cutting, drilling, routing and sanding. Using basic power tools and these processes, you'll create a contemporary set of serving boards from solid oak.
There will be three main designs to choose from, plus different styling options to make your boards your own.
The foundational skills you learn from this course will give you the confidence and ability to tackle many of your own simple woodwork projects.
What you’ll learn:
- Cut basic shapes using a jigsaw
- Create edge detailing using a router
- Drill large holes using a forstner bit
- Use an orbital sander and hand sanding to achieve a refined finish
- Apply wood finish to protect your wooden homewares
What you’ll take away:
- Woodwork knowledge and skillset
- A set of solid oak serving boards in your choice of design
- A great sense of accomplishment
Course price (£150) includes:
- All materials
- PPE (dust mask, ear plugs, safety glasses)
- Approx 6 hours teaching time
Notes on my supplier
The wood will be sourced from a sawmill near Dunfermline called Scottish Wood. It's a fantastic social enterprise invested in regenerating our native woodland. If you have a moment, I recommend reading their ‘Our philosophy’ page. They’re good people doing good stuff!
The course is aimed at beginners. There are a few different tools and processes to learn, but the session is limited to four learners at a time so it will be quite personal with plenty of guidance if people need it. The classes will be held at ARC Independent/Torrisdale Street Studios, Govanhill, Glasgow, G42 8PH. Drinks and snacks will be provided.